Thursday, March 24, 2011

A Post about Food Preservation

Homemade applesauce anyone?

     I've benefited greatly from the kindness and knowledge of friends and acquaintances. For the better part of my teenage and young adult life I was woefully unaware of the big exciting world that was around me. Growing up in a small community located in rural North Carolina it was hard to imagine a life outside of the town boundaries so in order to cope I found it easy to place mental boundaries on myself. It is so much easier to surround yourself with the familiar or the safe. It's easier to resist change than to step outside of your comfort zone.

     I think it is the same in every small community or town. In my case, you hopefully graduated high school, took whatever job was available, and maybe if you worked really hard you could afford a small place of your own and a used truck. I admit that I dream of having a small place of my own and any vehicle that works will be fine with me but the people I am talking about were sadly unaware or resistant to the joys and pleasures in life. I knew something existed outside of that town but I didn't know what or even how to get there. I relied primarily on the kindness and knowledge of others who then pointed me in the right direction. I'm still on that journey of self discovery and I want them to know that I am truly thankful.

     One part of my journey has been learning how to grow, cook, and preserve my own food. I enjoy learning a new skill and I've always believed that the more you know the less you need. In previous posts I have mentioned belonging to a great group of organic gardeners that grow vegetables and then donate the products of their labor to various charities. Recently, one member of the group organized a demonstration in food preservation and it was great to participate.


     Unfortunately, there was a lot of waste associated with my personal garden last year as I became overrun with tomatoes, cucumbers, and other things. I tried to give away as much as I could but some went into the garbage. NEVER AGAIN! Canning and pickling seem to be lost skills these days and I am determined to bring them back (with style of course). As for now, the tomatoes, squash, peppers, carrots, eggplant, kale, lettuce, and cucumbers are sprouting and it won't be long before they go in the ground for the summer. Whether they are enjoyed fresh right out of my garden or a little later during the coldness of winter I will be ready. Stay tuned.  

       
      The beets are about to be pickled

No comments:

Post a Comment