Saturday, March 12, 2011

The 2011 Lead Strong Half-Marathon (Update)

     5 mile run....decimated! 5 miles is officially my longest run ever and I feel great! I was joined today by a few fellow graduate students who will also participate in the half-marathon. It was a tremendous group with a lot of strong runners and it was also nice to have some company.

     Today was also the first time I used the NCR trail as part of my half-marathon training. The NCR trail was once part of the North Central Railroad but was transformed into a walking/biking/hiking path by the "Rails to Trails Conservancy" after trains stop utilizing that particular section of track. A wonderful idea if you ask me. The trail extends for over 40 miles and even crosses into Pennsylvania. I consider myself very lucky to have such a great area to train. I'll have to use it more often.

     I had to skip my run this past Wednesday because I have been suffering from a bought of tendinitis in both ankles. I bought new running shoes a couple of weeks ago but I quickly found out that not all running shoes are created equal. The shoes were incredibly comfortable but they changed the way my foot impacted with the ground and caused my ankles to turn slightly inward.  After two weeks and nearly 30 miles of running I decided to go back to my old shoes and I will probably stick with them until after race day.

     As for right now, my left ankle still isn't 100% but it is healing. I'm looking forward to my runs next week and as always I'll keep you posted!

No comments:

Post a Comment