Saturday, March 19, 2011

The 2011 Lead Strong Half-Marathon (Update)

     6 miles.....annihilated! Ever since last week I have been setting a personal record for most miles ever ran at one time. Last week it was 5 miles and today it was 6 miles. I'm feeling really accomplished....and sore. My original plan for this week was to continue running on the NCR trail but with the help of a local running group called the NCR Trail Snails but when I arrived at 8AM this morning I couldn't find them. I did however meet with another running group called Team Challenge who run various races (marathons, half-marathons, 10K's, etc.) to raise money for Crohn's disease and Colitis research. The group had come to the NCR trail to run an informal 6 miles race (for fun only) and had raised money in the process. I ran with the group but unfortunately I didn't raise any money which I suppose isn't that bad since I was only aware of their existence just 10 minutes before the race started! So, 6 miles down and I'm looking forward to my next goal.

     The benefits of my training are becoming more and more evident with each passing week. Besides the weight loss, my energy has gone through the roof and my endurance has increased dramatically. Not bad for a guy that only last summer couldn't run around the block without stopping. I've also started to experience the meditative properties of running. I've never been much on meditation (the few times that I have tried it I have fallen asleep) but I've begun to notice that while running I time my breathing with the number of steps I take. It is completely unintentional but the pattern is there. This repetitive motion of breathing and running sort of "takes me away" for a few moments. I spend most of the time reflecting on past events, friends, family, or coming up with ideas for projects. It's a great moment to just drift off and think. If I do this long enough, sometimes without even realizing it, I've run another mile.

Take care of each other.....

No comments:

Post a Comment