Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Tasty Tuesday!

Black Bean and Patty Pan Squash Enchiladas



     Ah, the patty pan squash. You are so unusual. And, when I cut you in half you look like Boo from Mario. See...
I harvested quite a few recently and I didn't know any recipes I could use them for. I came home and found a recipe for enchiladas using summer squash (yellow squash and zucchini) so I said why not. If you haven't used patty pan squash before I definitely recommend them. They are really versatile. I harvested these when they were about the size of my hand but I later found out that patty pan squash are often harvested when they are very small and eaten whole.

 
     Anyway, here is this week's recipe. I'll be the first to admit that they don't really hold together that well but they taste great. Have homemade enchiladas ever stayed together? Let's get NASA on this. We have to create an enchilada that stays together people! If you want a vegan version of this recipe just subsitute the cheese with a little nutritional yeast. Enjoy!


  • 1 onion, chopped
  • garlic
  • 1 green bell pepper
  • 2-3 medium sized patty pan squash
  • 1/2 teaspoon of cumin
  • 1 teaspoon chili powder
  • 1 can of black beans, drained
  • Juice of half a lime
  • 1 bag of shredded cheese (or couple ounces of nutritional yeast)
  • 1 can of enchilada sauce (around 10 ounces should be enough)
  • Corn tortillas



  1. Heat the oil in a medium sauce pan and saute the onions until soft. Add the garlic, bell pepper, and squash for another 2-3 minutes (until the squash is soft). Add the spices, black beans, and a little salt to taste. Cook for an additional 5 minutes or so and add lime juice.
  2. Preheat the oven to 350, oil a large baking dish, and pour a shallow layer of enchilada sauce of the bottom. Add a little of the squash mixture and shredded cheese to each tortilla and roll up (burrito style) placing each enchilada seam side down in the baking dish. You may need to heat the tortillas in the microwave for about 30 seconds to make them pliable. 
  3. Pour remainder of enchilada sauce over the top of enchiladas, sprinkle with a little more cheese, and bake for 20 minutes.


The onion, garlic, and bell pepper are no match for my Santoku knife

Close up!

And another...

Let that mess saute for a bit

Festive...


Cheesy

Take care of yourself and each other...

1 comment:

  1. Let me know what NASA says about the enchilada issue. I've long past given up, and just assemble them a la lasagna.

    ReplyDelete