Monday, April 16, 2012

Red Shoe Shuffle 5K (UPDATE)

     The first Ronald McDonald House of Baltimore "Red Shoe Shuffle" was held yesterday morning and it was a great success. A total of $105,000 was raised by participants and sponsors. Can you believe that??? Incredible! It was a real honor to take part.


     The day started very early for me. I woke up at 5:30 after a terrible night's sleep and had a bit of orange juice, toast, and peanut butter. I've been training for a half-marathon, coming up May 6th, so I wasn't worried about the length of the day's race. I just planned to go out, do my best, and have a good time.

     I arrived very early to the event (perhaps too early) but I had to find parking, pick up my race packet, and warm up so I wanted to give myself enough time. In the race packet I received a great free race shirt made by Under Armour, some red shoe laces, a bracelet, and all kinds of coupons. The day started off a little overcast but quickly cleared up and became perfect running weather. As the race began I found myself close to the front and I tried to have a slightly faster pace than I use in my distance running. I have to admit that it was a great site to see so many people running through the streets of Baltimore and when we got the opportunity to run past Camden Yards it made the experience even better. Oh, and seeing the Raven's Cheerleaders cheering for us was a nice touch as well.

     Honestly, I began to hit the wall somewhere after the 2 mile mark. This was a true sign that I was running out of my comfort zone and I even thought about stopping and walking. But then I said, "Quiet brain or I'll stab you with a Q-tip!" And, I kept running.

     I came across the finish line at 25:27 which is about the same time as the first 5K I ever competed in. At least I'm maintaining. All in all I had a great time and it was such an honor to give money to a great cause. Volunteering or donating to charity can be such a valuable use of time or money and I recommend it to anyone, especially to those who feel too inwardly focused. Help others and you will help yourself. I promise.

I would like to give a special shout-out to my new shoes. Brooks PureFlow!


Take care of yourself and each other...

3 comments:

  1. Saw your post. Great job! I hit the wall pretty much at the same point. It was easy to fly down Eutaw St..but coming back up was horrible!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comments! A great job to you as well! I remember the only thing I was thinking about while running down Eutaw street towards the Stadium was, "This is really going to suck on the way back!". But we both persevered. Planning on any other races in the future?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Couple more that I already signed up for MD Half Marathon, Cleveland 5K and 10K (long story ... and in hindsight not smart), Baltimore 10 miler, but then nothing until August. I signed up for the Baltimore 5k for the Running Festival weekend, but may switch to the the full. If they keep the 5k as the same course this year I would recommend that because you run uphill to start, but the race finishes down Eutaw.

    ReplyDelete